Working Visas

For the most up to date information on visas visit

If you are not a New Zealand citizen or do not have New Zealand residency, you must have a valid work permit or work visa to be employed in horticulture and viticulture work in New Zealand.  Your employer may ask to sight proof that you are entitled to work. New Zealand has working holiday agreements with many countries throughout the world.

Before you can work in New Zealand you’ll will need:

  • A bank account
  • An understanding of your employment rights and responsibilities
  • An IRD number – PickNZ Regional Coordinators can arrange this for you
  • A Tax Code Declaration (IR330) from your employer.

Transitioning from another Visa to Supplementary Seasonal Employment (SSE) Visa

People coming off visas other than working holiday visas will need to apply for an SSE work visa.

SSE work visa application forms can be downloaded from the following link

Process & costs : Supplementary Seasonal Employment Work Visa | Immigration New Zealand

Applications will need to be sent to Immigration in Auckland (address below) who will lodge the application, ready for the RSE Unit to process the application.

Postal address
Immigration New Zealand
PO Box 76895
Manukau City
Auckland 2241
New Zealand

Immigration NZ
DX Box: EP71514
20 Fairfax Avenue
Auckland 1061
New Zealand.

For more details on the application criteria employers/potential workers can go to the following link.

Meeting the criteria : Supplementary Seasonal Employment Work Visa | Immigration New Zealand

Working Holiday Scheme Visa

New Zealand has agreements with many countries throughout the world for people to enjoy seasonal work here. The New Zealand Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) work permit or work visa allows you to be in New Zealand for up to 12 months (or 23 months for UK), and to work for up to three months for any one employer.

You can apply for a WHS permit if you meet all these criteria:

  • you’re from one of the countries listed below
  • you’re between 18 and 30 years old
  • you’re not bringing children with you
  • you haven’t done this before
  • you have enough funds to support yourself while you’re here and to purchase a return ticket.


Find Seasonal Work across NZ

Looking for a new seasonal job in New Zealand’s fruit and vegetable industries? Find seasonal jobs across NZ on PickNZ’s Job Board.

Check out the New Zealand Seasonal Work Scheme if you need support to take up seasonal hort work.

© Copyright 2022 - PickNZ