For the most up to date information on which countries New Zealand has a Working Holiday Scheme with visit www.immigration.govt.nz
If you are not a New Zealand citizen or do not have New Zealand residency, you must have a valid work permit or work visa to be employed in horticulture and viticulture work in New Zealand. Your employer may ask to sight proof that you are entitled to work. New Zealand has working holiday agreements with many countries throughout the world.
Before you can work in New Zealand you’ll will need:
- A bank account
- An understanding of your employment rights and responsibilities
- An IRD number – PickNZ Regional Coordinators can arrange this for you
- A Tax Code Declaration (IR330) from your employer.
- + Read more about IRD numbers and tax
- The ideal way to tour New Zealand, make money and have some fun.
New Zealand has agreements with many countries throughout the world for people to enjoy seasonal work here. The New Zealand Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) work permit or work visa allows you to be in New Zealand for up to 12 months (or 23 months for UK), and to work for up to three months for any one employer.
You can apply for a WHS permit if you meet all these criteria:
- you’re from one of the countries listed below
- you’re between 18 and 30 years old
- you’re not bringing children with you
- you haven’t done this before
- you have enough funds to support yourself while you’re here and to purchase a return ticket.